Saturday, February 9, 2013

Brahma del Carbon, A new handmade project.

When I was young, the putter choices were not anywhere near as vast as what we have in today's BIG BOX Golf Shops or the internet.  I remember the top four as being PING, Spalding TP Mills models, Zebra and the incredibly popular BullsEye, made right here in Phoenix until 1962.  There were a few other models and makers, obviously, but the market was much, much more limited than today.  My choice was a BullsEye, just like Dad was rolling, or at least as close as I could find.  It was my best friend for a long time and I don't recall what caused me to change, but I have always had a fondness for that putter and have gone back on more than a few occasions and usually enjoy the return, even if usually brief.
Fast-forward to a phone call a few weeks ago from a customer in Northern California who is a fellow BullsEye fanatic and wanted to sample my work, if I could make that BullsEye happen.  He had tried Scotty Cameron's versions and just never fell in love with the overall look, for one reason or another.  Coming to me, he hoped to have one hand made custom putter that might end his search and give him a putter he could put in the bag and forget ever changing again.
Well, I did a brass model, first and it is waiting for the TIG torch, as I type this post.  Once I had the brass one at a point where I could not work further until welding, I grabbed a piece of 1018 CR Steel and went to work on another.  When I told the customer my plan to make one from both metals and give him a choice at the end of the project, he said to me, "Golf is full of tough choices, and I LOVE it!"
What you see in these pictures is the result of a good number of milling hours, an excellent welding job by Josh Eastburn and then the clean up that is still in process.
Feel free to give me some feedback on what you see and let me know any changes you would ask for, if this was being handmilled for you.
Thanks and more on the way,
LaMont in AZ





MannKrafted Custom Milled Putters and Designs

 

No comments:

Post a Comment